Wednesday, June 4, 2008

State Dinner (Part II!)

The remainder of the conference went well. We had opportunities to interview lots of insightful people, including Jesse Jackson and Chris Tucker. having 'Charter Delegate' and 'Press' passes allow us to be pretty much anywhere at the conference center. There is a reception every night with dinner, entertainment, and an open bar.

Last night was our second formal State Dinner (much more enjoyable than the first). The Summit had gathered around half a dozen heads of state from various parts of Africa to participate in a Presidential Plenary, so they were all in attendance at the dinner. They had set up a huge tent with a big state, live music, and buffet tables all around the outside. The speeches were blessedly short and to the point, which helped make everyone cheery and good-spirited for the rest of the evening.

At this point, I haven't checked my email or been online in five days. It's liberating. The people who know I'm in Africa understand that Internet access might be hard to find, and so assumed I would not be in touch. Actually, there is a computer center at the lodge (you have to pay), but I've decided against using it too much. I came to Africa to be educated about the continent and culture, not be tied to my own.

No comments: